TNMU was founded on April 12, 1957, as a Ternopil Medical Institute. On July 1, 1992, the institute was named after Ivan Horbachevsky. On December 30, 1997, it received the status of State Medical Academy, and on 17 November 2004, after reorganization, the institution became Ivan Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University. The first rector of the medical institute was Petro Ohij, and the vice-rector Arsen Martyniuk. The regional administration transferred two buildings to the institute for academic and laboratory facilities and two dormitories. University clinic facilities were located in the municipal hospital. At the same time, the Morphology Building, a dormitory, and the Regional Hospital was being built.
The institute had 19 departments and 66 instructors, including Kostiantyn Kovanov, Rostyslav-Yurii Komarovskyi, Anatolii Lokai, Ivan Sytnyk, Mykola Skakun, and Yevhen Honcharuk. The first class consisted of 210 students.
The institute steadily developed programs and facilities, but the biggest change took place after Ukraine gained its independence in 1991 when it started moving towards the European education system. In 1994, the Institute received IV level of institutional accreditation. In 1995 TSMU added the specialty of Nursing, and in 2000, Pharmacy