Before embarking on your study abroad journey in Australia, a few key considerations must be kept in mind. As an international student, there are certain steps you’ll need to take and information you’ll need to be aware of. Let’s go over the essentials for studying in Australia.
What steps need to be taken to study in Australia?
Australia is the favorite destination for international students. It is ranked third in the education system, and its global recognition has attracted many students worldwide. While considering the prospects and benefits, let’s get into the steps you must take if you want to study in Australia.
1. Research before you decide: Australia is home to globally ranked universities. With the diverse range of courses from Engineering to law, you first finalize which course you want to pursue. Make sure there is a vacancy available for the course you have selected and that the fee structure is affordable for you.
2. Check your eligibility: Every university and each course sets different eligibility criteria. So it is important to cross-check whether you are eligible or not before applying. It is advisable to go through these criteria and other details at least a year before, so you can prepare before hand.
3. You have to pass certain eligibility exams: Before you start applying to a university, you will have to make sure you attend the eligibility exams, like the English proficiency examinations.
4. Apply to the university: With proper documents and fees in hand, apply to the appropriate university and course.
5. Student Visa application: When you receive your admission offer letter, you can then start your application for your student visa. You may have to attend an interview before getting approval.
6. Make necessary arrangements for your stay in Australia: You have to make the necessary accommodation books, familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of the country, and so on. Basic amenities should be taken care of before you travel to Australia.
Costs of living in Australia
Living in Australia can come with a high price tag, but the investment in education and future opportunities may be worth it. The cost of living in Australia varies based on a number of factors, such as your choice of the city, the availability of scholarships, the university and program you attend, and more.
Tuition fees: The average tuition fee for undergraduate programs costs AUD 20,000 to AUD 40,000 per year and can cost almost AUD 60,000 per year for graduate programs.
Cost of student visa: The cost of a student visa depends on the duration of the program. It can cost between AUD 620 and AUD 1,200 yearly.
Accommodation: Coming to, the cost of accommodation depends on whether you choose to stay on-campus or off-campus. An on-campus dormitory, it can cost between AUD 90 and AUD 250 per week. While off-campus dorms can cost between AUD 150 to AUD 600 per week.
Living expenses: The basic living expenses including food travel and other necessities may cost around AUD 15,000 to AUD 20,000 per year.
Health Insurance: Health insurance is mandatory for international students. It can cost you about AUD 400 to AUD 600 per year.
List of scholarships available for international students
As you can see, the cost of living and studying in Australia is quite expensive. So availing a scholarship for international students can be of great help. Check out the list of some of the scholarships available for international students:
- Macquarie Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- The Global Excellence Scholarship at the University of Western Australia
- Australia Government Research Training Program
- ANU Study Canberra India Scholarship
- Sydney Scholars India Scholarship Program
- Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarships
Subclass 500 Student Visa
It is a visa category that allows international students to study in Australia. It is mandatory for students to pursue a course at an Australian university. Let us look into the details of the same:
- Eligibility: Only an international student who has an offer letter from a reputed university in Australia can apply for this.
- Conditions: It requires health insurance, satisfactory academic progress, and so on.
- Validity: The validity of the visa is the course duration of the course the student has enrolled in. The maximum duration is 5 years.
- Work rights: The visa allows international students to work for 40 hours per fortnight and also can work full-time during vacations.
- Persons who can accompany: Usually a family member such as the student’s spouse or dependent children can accompany the person through a dependent visa.
Australian Student Visa Application Procedure
International students must apply for a student visa 6 months before their course commences. Below are the steps you must follow:
Step 1: Confirm which course you want to study from an approved university in Australia.
Step 2: Apply for a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) from your university to show proof that you have been selected for the university.
Step 3: Submit the visa application, either digitally or through manual documentation. Then pay the fee for visa application.
Step 4: Submit the mandatory documents for visa approval that includes proof of financial capacity, English language proficiency, and health insurance.
Step 5: You may have to attend a biometric appointment to submit your fingerprints and photograph.
Step 6: The Department of Home Affairs will inform you whether the visa is approved or not. You may have to wait for weeks or maybe months to get the response.
Step 7: Finally, if the visa is approved you will receive the visa grant letter or an electronic visa grant notification.